To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.
Transfer Toolkit | Transfer FAQs | Transfer Policies | How to Apply
Raritan Valley Community CollegeTransfer of Credit Policies
The following are the policies by which courses sent for transfer to Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) are reviewed and awarded:
1) Transfer credits are only awarded from United States (US) post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations: Middle States Associations of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Transfer credit is not awarded from unaccredited institutions or from institutions who are accredited by national accrediting organizations.
2) Any college credit earned from a non-US institution must be evaluated by an evaluation service that is a member of National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S). A listing of the member evaluation services and additional information can be obtained by visiting www.naces.org/members.htm.
3) Developmental courses designated as zero (0) level (i.e. MATH 013 or ENGL 050) including English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are not transferable*.
(*Note: Certificate and Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree programs may allow developmental Math courses to transfer and fill proficiency requirements.)
4) Transfer credit limitations:
RVCC will accept up to 45 transfer and/or advanced standing credits toward an associate degree or 75 percent of the required credits for a certificate. The course requirements of some selective programs may limit the applicability of transfer credits to fulfill degree requirements. The minimum grade accepted for transfer is a C-.
5) Students matriculating at RVCC that wish to take course(s) at another institution and have those course(s) applied towards their RVCC degree, must complete an Advanced Approval Form at RVCC prior to registering for course(s) at another institution. This form must be signed by an RVCC academic advisor. Upon completion of course(s), it is the responsibility of the student to have an official transcript sent to RVCC for credit transfer.
6) It is the student’s responsibility to contact ALL previous institutions and arrange to have final, official transcripts sent to RVCC that reflect all coursework completed. This must be done prior to the second semester of matriculation at RVCC.
7) RVCC accepts coursework through associations, business, government, military, police academy and industry that have been evaluated for college credit by American Council on Education (ACE) http://www.acenet.edu.
RVCC accepts the Advanced Placement (AP) exam in certain subject areas with a score of 3, 4 or 5; College Level Examination Program (CLEP) with passing score of 50 or higher (depending on the subject area); DANTES subject exam with a score of 46 or higher (depending on the subject area); NYU Foreign Language Exam (for languages not offered at RVCC); and RVCC departmental exam (for subject areas not available through CLEP, DANTES).*
(*Note: Test results and/or proof of proficiency must be sent directly from the accrediting agency to RVCC.)