Brian Thomas, A. B. O. M., F. N. A. O.
Professor (Ophthalmic Science)
Health Science Education Department
Raritan Valley Community College
Office: Opthalmics Lab, College Center floor B
(908) 526-1200 ext. 8277
bthomas @ raritanval.edu
- B. S. , Montclair State College
- M. A. , joint program between Seton Hall University and University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ
- Ph. D. , Educational Leadership, Management and Policy from Seton Hall University
Professional Certifications, Licenses, & Memberships:
- Ophthalmic Dispenser Licensed by the State of NJ (#TD-1377)
- ABO Master in Ophthalmic Optics (#0846)
- Certified OAA Refracting Optician
- Certified Member of American Board of Opticianry (#07607)
- Certified Member of National Contact Lens Examiners (#7623)
- Member of the Opticians Association of NJ
- Honored Fellow of the Opticians Association of America
- Fellow of the National Academy of Opticianry
Since receiving the position of Ophthalmic Science Program Coordinator here at RVCC, I have been actively involved in the development of the Ophthalmic Science degree program, including: curriculum development, course scheduling, instructional objectives, facility design & construction, equiment purchasing, and program implementation and supervision. Prior to my arrival at RVCC, I was an adjunct instructor in Ophthalmic Optics at Essex County College for several years. In addition, I worked for thirteen years as an Optician/manager for a NJ Guild Optician. Recently, I've been honored by inclusion in Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, and Who's Who Among America's Teachers.
I am a frequent speaker for opticianry organizations, and have had several articles and monographs published on optical subjects. The National Academy of Opticianry named me the recipient of the prestigious "Opticianry Education Achievement Award" for 2002.