The English Department features a full spectrum of courses, ranging from developmental composition and reading; to advanced literature, writing, and interdisciplinary electives; to honors and online offerings. Serving the needs of students with a wide range of life experiences and academic preparation, the Department:
- provides both developmental and college-level composition students a nurturing and outcomes-oriented environment in order to develop, improve, and refine reading, writing, and analytical thinking skills needed for success in college, the work place, and the wider world;
- provides high school students with the opportunity to take college-level courses under the College’s Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP);
- affords students in advanced literature, writing, and interdisciplinary electives the chance to study focused topics, fields of inquiry, genres, and/or periods in ways that allow for more advanced perusal of literature and diverse cultures;
- offers an Associate of Arts degree option in English that transfers to four-year programs;
- features a chapter of the English Honors Society Sigma Kappa Delta that promotes and sponsors activities to enhance the study of English and the English major;
- exposes students to new experiences, ideas, and varied options for learning within an open-minded academic environment which both celebrates cultural and personal diversity and fosters collaboration and interpersonal understanding; and,
- creates and maintains an academic environment which helps students gain intellectual sophistication in a rapidly changing world in which fields of knowledge are increasingly interrelated.
Explore our site or contact us for more information!
Updated 1/18/13 by SA